Why List in the Winter?
While there are certainly fewer buyers in the market during the cold winter months, there are quite a few who stick around even in the toughest of winters. Somehow, over time, many sellers and a lot of REALTORS have developed an impression that having a property for sale during the winter is a losing battle. We couldn't disagree more! If your property is not on the market I can absolutely guarantee it won’t be one of those that sell. Here are three reasons you should strongly consider listing your property during the winter months
- Limited winter inventories help each property that is on the market stand out
- It’s not uncommon to have 30% to 40% lower property inventories in some areas during the winter months because many sellers wrongly believe their property simply won’t sell during the off season
- Because there are fewer options for buyers in the winter months, each property that is on the market garners more attention
- With fewer for sale signs around, buyers don't get the sense that “everything” is for sale which can lead to a greater sense of urgency
- Buyers who are willing to brave the cold northern Michigan winter are serious buyers.
- While many summer visitors to northern Michigan will take some time to browse properties during their vacation, they may not be serious about purchasing at all
- If someone is looking for properties in the dead of winter in northern Michigan, there’s a reason. Whether they’re relocating, moving because of a change in circumstance, looking to buy in preparation for next summer or pursuing a property for winter recreation, they’re serious about the process
- Buyers can only purchase the properties they are aware of and a lot of land is sold in the winter
- According to The Northern Great Lakes REALTORS MLS (Northern Michigan's largest MLS), more than 2,500 properties sold last winter (November through March) with a total sales volume of $651,271,700! That’s a ton of property for the “off season”!
- If a seller chooses to keep their property off the market during the winter, they’ll absolutely not be one of those 2,500+ to sell
- If your property is not on the market, the perfect buyer may very likely buy something different because they didn't even know your property was available for sale